Friday, November 03, 2006

Suvarnabhumi Airport, My First Experience

Not long ago I had my first experience visiting the new Bangkok International Airport, the name is which is Suvanrnabhumi Airport. I had to go to the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok to get some new visa pages added to my passport. I was excited but a bit sad too. I have been coming to Thailand since 1994 and Don Muang Airport was always a big part of the Thailand experience.

Now a new chapter opens in the story of Thailand. Becoming modern and keeping up with the other nations involved in technological upgrading. I had seen pictures of it but this was the first time I laid my eyes on it. It does look sweet.

It took a long time to actually get this place open and operational. The excitement was prolonged. Thai Airways flight TG021 Ubon To Bangkok. I got off and was happy. The terminal very cool and hi-tech moving sidewalks moved us along. I couldn't find an exit sign. I don't know why. I finally got out and was on the second floor. I had to go back inside to get to the ground level.

Ground transpotation was expensive compared to Don Muang but the taxi got me to where I needed to be in record time. Going back the taxi was twice as much. I have since learned that the city buses are now running from outside exit 8. I will let you know after I use it this month. There are growing pains. In the passenger area of domestic there is only a food court in which to by food. So be sure to eat before checking in. If you are planning to read a book take a flashlight as the lighting is rather sparse. I am sure, though, that changes are coming soon.

The first time made me feel that I had actually left Thailand. But I am sure as time goes by I will get used to Suvarnabhumi Airport the same as I felt at home in Don Muang Airport. I hope if and when you visit your experience will be good.

No comments: